Immanuel Episcopal Church




 
 
Login

History

Immanuel Episcopal Church was designed by one of America's best-known Gothic revival architects, Richard M. Upjohn. The wheel-chair accessible building is a perfect example of the French country Gothic style of about the 14th century. The fish scale roof, with multi-colored bands of slate, is typical of the Victorian Gothic style of architecture.

Among the building's notable features is the buttressed and pinnacled bell tower surmounted by an octagonal "lantern." In the tower hangs a Paul Revere bell, which hung in the original 1817 church. The present granite church was completed in 1867 to replace that wooden structure.

Points of interest within the church are the Rose Window that faces West to capture the setting sun, carved angels at the top of the main columns, and the Shields of Apostles and Evangelists on the high arches.

Buried in the adjacent churchyard is Hetty Green, once reputably known as the wealthiest woman in the world, and who was often called "The Witch of Wall Street." Other markers in the beautiful cemetery grounds honor Civil War heroes and those who played an important role in the history of Bellows Falls.


Immanuel Episcopal Church aims to share this beautiful historic building with the community, not only through its religious services, but also through Stone Church Center.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software